Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Series: Glitch #1
Publication date: August 7th, 2012
Published by: St. Martin's Press
Source: Purchased in a bookstore


Format: Paperback
Pages: 308
Add it to your Goodreads shelf!

Purchase it!
Amazon! | The Book Depository! | Barnes and Noble!

Favorite quote: “Everything was so much sharper without the Link fogging me--sights, sounds, smells. It was exhilarating and shocking and terrifying. I knew my emotions had grown too strong. They were dangerous to the Community. They were dangerous to me.
But still, I wanted color. I wanted to soar with happiness even if it meant dealing with the weight of fear and guilt, too. I wanted to live. And that meant that I couldn't give the glitching up. At least not yet. Just a little bit longer.”  
  

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars!


Goodreads Synopsis: In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.


Review: When I first started this blog, I picked out a few books that were being released in the coming months that I really wanted to spotlight. Glitch was one of the ones that I chose and after having (finally!) read it, I'm so glad that I did. It's such a wonderfully original twist on an old concept that I couldn't help but enjoy it.


Zoe is a young girl who finds herself suddenly cut off from the internal link that everyone around her is connected to. The Link is intended to take away emotion so that everyone is able to live in peace and harmony. No feelings, no worries. However, Zoe realizes that she has been living in a world of gray and finds herself fascinated with all of the colors and sounds and emotions that come along with glitching.

Glitch is a fantastic examination of human emotion and really makes you think about what it would be like to be completely cut off from your feelings. I'll be honest, though. Zoe isn't my favorite female protagonist out there. She tends to be a bit whiny and she occasionally got on my nerves. More than once, I found myself rolling my eyes at her (and the insta-love). Adrien is an interesting character and all, but geez, girl. Slow down! Kissing a boy on the same day you meet him after thinking that he's going to kill you? Oi.

The world building is 100% the best part of this book. I was really interested in the Link and the Community and what led the world to take such drastic measures. Glitch got into things a bit, but I'm hoping the next book in this trilogy will go into it a bit more. The characters fell a bit flat and their relationship was all kinds of unbelievable, but the romantic scenes were sweet and well written, at least.

Final word: Overall, I wasn't in love with Glitch. It has a very interesting premise and the series has the potential to go somewhere, but the first installment didn't blow my mind. I think that part of this is because I had such high expectations of it and I definitely should have learned my lesson in the past about letting my hopes get too high. I'll definitely read the next book in the series and I would recommend it, but I would also caution the reader against getting super excited about it before starting it.

2 comments:

  1. Awws. So sad that you didn't love the book because it sounds so AMAZING! But I still want too give it a shot! However, now I'm thinking, maybe, I shouldn't buy it?? Because I totally was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I honestly think that my hopes were way too high, or maybe I've just been reading some mind blowing dystopian lately. Overall I really liked it, I just couldn't relate to Zoe and the relationship between her and Adrien progressed waaaaay too quickly. And oh my gosh, I forgot to talk about her friend Max. WHAT A CREEP. But I really think that it's worth buying and adding to your shelves. c: I was super disappointed that it only came in paperback, though.

      Delete