Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer

Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #1
Publication date: January 3rd, 2012
Published by: Feiwel and Friends
Source: Purchased in a bookstore


Format: Hardcover
Add it to your Goodreads shelf!

Purchase it!
Amazon! | The Book Depository! | Barnes and Noble!

Favorite quote: “Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.”   

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!


Goodreads Synopsis: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl...

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review: I'm always a sucker for inventive takes on old fairy tales and this title was certainly no exception. Cinder seemed to be so unique and wonderful and as such, was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I had very high hopes for it and it certainly delivered in most aspects, but did end up falling short in a few others.

The story itself was wonderful and quite inventive. The world building was a bit shaky and lacked a few details, but as I'm the type of person who eats detail up like the best soup ever, I can't fault the author for leaving me hanging. I tend to enjoy more detail than the average reader. 

I was, however, very impressed with the characterization in Cinder. Both of the main characters were very likable and realistic in a fantastical setting and that's something that I often find lacking in recent YA novels. Cinder did occasionally come off as being melodramatic, but overall she is one of my current favorite female leads in the YA genre. Prince Kai is, of course, quite the Prince Charming and though circumstances lead him to act in a not-so-charming manner, I can hardly blame him, given the catalyst for his behavior.

My only complaint with this novel would be that it was fairly predictable. I had the entire plot figured out very early in the story, but it was nonetheless a fun and refreshingly unique read.

Final word: I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fairy tale retellings or even just YA dystopian or science fiction novels in general. It's predictable, but that doesn't diminish my love for it one bit. Every once in a while, it's nice to know where the plot is going. Definitely a worthwhile read and I can't wait for the next book in the series!

What did you guys think?

7 comments:

  1. Good article.I really think what you said is right,in modern society,we have so many troubles,if you feel nothing to relax yourself,I suggest you to play the wow and some other games,and you can come to my page to find more information about http//www.mmolive.com/ and http://www.mmohome.com/gold/Maple-Story-US.html


    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i have been looking for this kind of informative articles for such a long time, and i am really lucky to find out your work here.It is useful when i do that by myself or could make me know more clear on dealing with these issues. buy runescape gold , runescape gold

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all beautiful and fashionable i have to say, and my friends told me they are of good quality as well. I have not see post good enough like yours here.
    More tags:
    wow gold for cheap

    world of warcraft money

    gold for wow cheap
    cheap gold for wow

    cheapest gold for wow
    world of warcraft sale

    wow gold cheap buy





    ReplyDelete
  4. My only complaint with this novel would be that it was fairly predictable. I had the entire plot figured out very early in the story, but it was nonetheless a fun and refreshingly unique read.guild wars 2 gold
    buy guild wars 2 gold
    cheap guild wars 2 gold
    cheapest guild wars 2 gold
    guild wars 2 gold for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was, however, very impressed with the characterization in Cinder. Both of the main characters were very likable and realistic in a fantastical setting and that's something that I often find lacking in recent YA novels. Cinder did occasionally come off as being melodramatic, but overall she is one of my current favorite female leads in the YA genre. Prince Kai is, of course, quite the Prince Charming and though circumstances lead him to act in a not-so-charming manner, I can hardly blame him, given the catalyst for his behavior.

    swtor gold
    buy swtor gold
    cheap swtor gold
    tor credits
    buy tor credits
    cheap tor credits

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cool. Thanks for finding it. Some really good ideas there, this is going to be a real time sink. I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China vacation packages | China tour operator | China travel packages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hanbridge offers a range of language learning programs from beginner to advanced. ?These programs are designed to arm you with basic linguistic competency up to full fluency in Mandarin Chinese. To ensure relevancy, Hanbridge will tailor our courses to meet your particular needs and to help you flourish in your daily life in China.



    More Chinese learning tags :mandarin learn online | study mandarin online | Chinese Online Courses

    ReplyDelete