Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Title: Drink, Slay, Love
Author: Sarah Beth Durst
Publication date: September 13, 2011
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Purchased in a bookstore
Add it to your Goodreads shelf!


Purchase it!
Amazon! | The Book Depository! | Barns and Noble!

Favorite quote: “You’ll never make it through life if you let irrational fears freeze you all the time.”

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Goodreads synopsis: Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops. 


Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees. 

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?


Review: Oh my gosh. I LOVED this book. It was so unique and hilarious and cheesy and terrible that I couldn't help it. This is one of those books that will forever be on my guilty pleasures list for more than one reason. I honestly can't tell if the author was trying to parody vampire novels or if she was serious, but let me tell you, I have never laughed so hard at a young adult book in my entire life. There were actually moments where I had to put it down and get myself together before I could keep reading.


Before I get into how ridiculous this plot is, I feel like I should actually give props to Sarah. Her vampires aren't wimps. They're cold, emotionless, and don't think twice about using human beings as walking blood banks. In fact, it's difficult to like Pearl for the first bit of the book because she's such a bitch. However, as the story progresses, she becomes more and more likable and the reader eventually finds themselves relating to her and rooting for her.

Another thing that I really loved about this book was the complete and utter lack of insta-love. In fact, there's very little actual romance in this book outside of warm fuzzy feelings towards the end. The relationship between Pearl and Evan was very realistic and not so cheesy that I felt like I was drowning in cheddar. It developed slowly and even at the end, it was believable.

The names in this book are a little ridiculous (Jadrien? Come ON. Really?), but not too terrible. Pearl's family is actually quite entertaining, as is Evan's. The idea of a vampire being staked by a unicorn's horn is hilarious. The idea of were-unicorns is so ridiculous and out there that it's hilarious.

Final word: Anyways, you get the gist. This book is fun and funny and I had a very difficult time putting it down. The writing isn't anything amazing and perhaps I was just in need of some good old cheesy teenage vampire antics, but I couldn't help loving it. However, it's a VERY difficult book to review without giving spoilers, so you'll just have to read it for yourself!

Happy reading, darlings!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I NEED to read this!! Awesome review Kendra :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so amazingly bad. It's on sale at Hasting's for like $6 in the bargain books section if you want to run down and grab it! c: I think there were only two or three copies left.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds really good! SO glad there's no insta-love. And I agree, the names are a bit much. Fab review, Kendra! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like I should warn you that it's very predictable, but it was still a fun read! I really enjoyed it. c:

      Delete
  3. Great review Kendra, I have yet to read this book but I have heard a lot of good things about it and your review just helps add to that. Glad you enjoyed it, it's always good to read something fun every once and awhile. :)

    - Justin @ Justin's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete