Sunday, August 12, 2012

Review: Entangled by Nikki Jefford

Title: Entangled
Series: Spellbound #1
Author: Nikki Jefford
Publication date:  February 20th, 2012
Published by: Nikki Jefford 
Source: Gifted by my wonderful friend Liliana of Lili Lost in a Book! Check out her blog here!
Add it to your Goodreads shelf!
Buy it!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars 


Goodreads Synopsis: Two months after dying, 17-year-old Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body.


Until Gray finds a way back inside her own body, she’s stuck being Charlene every 24 hours. Her sister has left clear instructions on how Gray should dress and behave. Looking like a prep isn’t half as bad as hanging out with Charlene’s snotty friends and gropey boyfriend.

The students and faculty of McKinley High might be quick to write her odd behavior off as delayed grief, but bad boy Raj McKenna is the only person who suspects Gray has returned from the dead.

Now Gray’s left with questions about how she died, what went wrong with her mother’s resurrection spell, and what will happen to her if she doesn’t disentangle herself from her sister’s body.


Review: Alright, I'll admit it. The first thing that drew me to this book wasn't the intriguing synopsis. It was the beautiful cover art. However, this is a very worthwhile read. It is aimed at the 15+ crowd, but despite the lower reading level, it was a wonderful read.

The only real problem that I had with this book was that the dialogue occasionally sounded forced and some of the reactions were slightly unrealistic, but other than that, I was pleasantly surprised. I'd read a few reviews on Goodreads about how biased the twins' mother was, but I have to say that I failed to see this. Mrs. Perez seemed to love both of her daughters equally and she seemed to be trying her best to do what was right for both of her girls. This family was thrust into an impossible situation and I feel that they dealt with things to the best of their abilities.

On to the main players! Graylee was very likable and I often found myself smiling at her sarcasm, though I was a bit thrown by her behavior in the very beginning. The scene in which she threatens Raj McKenna seems a bit out of character after having finished the book and I'm not 100% sure as to what the author was trying to convey with this scene other than the fact that Graylee severely disliked the boy and didn't appreciate him casting a spell on her. There definitely could have been other ways to demonstrate the tension between the two. Raj McKenna's reaction to the threat was a bit unbelievable as was his reaction to learning that Graylee had been brought back to life (though, so was everyone else's). However, I constantly found myself wanting to know more about this mysterious bad boy and was touched by his obvious loyalty to Graylee. Which brings us to Charlene. Oh, Charlene. There's no kind way to put this: What. A. Bitch. I was completely head over heels in dislike with her from the very beginning. She's selfish, cruel, erratic, and more or less psychotic. I look forward to seeing how things unfold between her and Graylee in the second book.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this witchy read and am very much so looking forward to reading the next installment in this series. Nikki Jefford is a wonderful indie author and I encourage each and every one of you to give this series a try!

Final Word: Other than a few slight issues, I really enjoyed reading this book. I felt as though I was able to relate to both Graylee and Raj and felt as though the author put a lot of thought into their characterization. I actually read this while I was camping this weekend and it was a great distraction from the creepy crawlies moving around outside my tent late at night! I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys fun, easy reads that act as an escape.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you liked it (aside from those little issues) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you for gifting it! It was fabulous!

      Delete