Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Favorites: Super Sexy Leading Lads Edition

Welcome to Friday Favorites! FF's is a weekly feature on this blog in which I list books, authors, characters, etc. who I feel deserve a little bit of recognition.

This week's edition focuses on the men of the young adult world who I just can't get enough of. Some are deliciously evil, some are pure and good, and some are just plain misunderstood. Either way, they turn up the heat and just beg for a place on my super sexy list.


As I mentioned in last week's Friday Favorites, men like Edward Cullen, Christian Grey, and so many others with controlling, stalkerish, and abusive (sometimes physical in addition to emotional and/or verbal) tendencies are popping up everywhere and being considered sexy. However, I feel like there's a fine line between having a tortured past and just being an abusive jerk. I'm sorry, but your crappy past doesn't give you a free pass to be a misogynist. The men on this list occasionally walk that line, but manage to stay on the bad boy side instead of wandering over into the creep zone.


1. Warner from Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me


Hoo, if there is ever a villain to find devastatingly attractive, he is it. Some may argue that Warner is an abusive, wimpy little bitch and to some degree, I can see that. However, I feel like there is so much more to Warner than we learned in the first book and I'm hoping that the novella written exclusively from his point of view (Destroy Me) will help give us some insight into what his life has been like and what hidden agendas he may have. I don't think that he's truly a villain or that he's as bad as he seems. I just don't. But we'll see.


2. Akiva from Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone


Oh, Akiva. Whenever I picture him, he's always an olive skinned, dark haired, smoldering sex pot of pure and unadulterated sexiness. From his tattoos to his lined eyes, he screams sensuality and guess what. He isn't a jerk! Some may argue that he is because he cut Kaoru off from the only family she's ever known, but to be fair, he didn't know who she was when he did so and thought he was just doing his part in a war that was so much bigger than himself.


3. Jace Wayland from Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments


I can't say that the actor they chose to play Jace in the movies is my absolute favorite, so we'll just go with the version of Jace that I had in my mind before the actor was announced, haha. Jace's main appeal is that he's so... Capable. He's smart, more than equipped to deal with dangerous situations, and he cares about his family. He's a good kid and that says a lot about him, considering who his father is. Plus there's that whole vanquishing evil, thing.


4. Remus Lupin from the Harry Potter Series


I will freely admit that this one is a bit out there. However, I still think that he deserves a place on this list. Remus is kind, understanding, and dedicated to doing what is right. He's intelligent and though he has had a difficult life, he doesn't allow himself to become overly jaded. He struggles to accept his feelings for Tonks because he doesn't want to harm her, but he doesn't resort to being an ass to push her away. Plus, he's my favorite Marauder. I have a thing for shy, quiet, intelligent boys who prefer to play the mediator.


5. Four/Tobias from Veronica Roth's Divergent


Four is another one of those characters who is sexy because he's just so freaking capable. He's completely and totally selfless and will do anything to protect Tris, regardless of the consequences he will personally face and I think that sometimes Tris forgets this. He's strong in his convictions and willing to sacrifice in order to see that the greater good triumphs. Unfortunately, that's also somewhat of a character flaw, but even so, he has good intentions and that counts for a lot.


Had this list also branched out into the adult world, it would have been much easier for me to write, haha. As a closet lover of cheesy romance novels, there are plenty of drool-worthy men to choose from that I couldn't put on this list because they weren't in the right genre. Maybe I'll do another list like this for Wacky Wednesday that focuses solely on men in adult fiction? Who knows. Either way, this list was difficult for me to write.


Happy reading, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jace...I ADORE him! But (no offense to the fans out there) every time I think about the actor they chose for him I feel like crying...no joke. I always imagined Alex Pettyfer playing Jace....OR have you seen the cover for City of Lost Souls?? I freakin' love that cover! Now that's my Jace I always imagined.

    ReplyDelete