Sunday, July 22, 2012

Review: Existence by Abbi Glines


Title: Existence
Series: The Existence Trilogy
Author: Abbi Glines
Publication date:  December 12th, 2011
Published by: Wild Child Publishing
ISBN: 978-1-61798-014-5
Source: E-book from Amazon.com
Add it to your Goodreads shelf!

Rating:  3 out of 5 stars


Synopsis: The first book in the Existence Trilogy by Abbi Glines is about a girl, Pagan Moore, who has been able to see ghosts, or souls as they’re referred to in the book, for her entire life. However, the souls are unable to speak to her and she is unable to successfully communicate with them. This being the case, she generally ignores them. That is, until one day a soul does the unthinkable. He speaks to her.
Pagan is both frightened and intrigued by Dank. She is even more confused by this unique soul when he suddenly enrolls as a student in her high school and all of her friends are able to see him. Who is this strange soul and why is she drawn to him? The answer is more shocking than she could ever imagine.
Review: Let me start off by saying that this was a book that I really, really wanted to love. The concept was interesting, the cover was eye-catching, and Dank’s character intrigued me. However, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Now, having said that… I didn’t hate it. But I wasn’t dazzled by it, either.

My biggest complaint about this book seems to be fairly common, from what I’ve seen. Pagan was a little… Over the top. Her character seemed very forced and flat. The first half of the book it didn’t bother me because I was expecting her character to develop. I’ve read other books with a flat main character who realistically developed into a very realistic and intriguing person. Juliet from Tahereh Mafi’s “Shatter Me” is a good example of character development done well in recent young adult literature (I suspect that I’m more in love with Tahereh Mafi’s method of developing Juliet as a character than I actually am in love with Juliet, but I digress) , as is Harry Potter’s Hermione Granger. However, Pagan never grew and I found myself rolling my eyes at her forced dialogue and predictable, unrealistic reactions.

Now, on to the story. The concept isn’t particularly new, but it is what drew me to this book in the first place. Death falls in love with a girl and saves her, though he is supposed to be taking her, and in doing so, sets forth an unwelcome chain of events. Girl falls in love with Death. It’s simple, to the point, and seemed like an easy, intriguing read. However, the story fell flat when told from Pagan’s immature, overly dramatic point of view. There were points where I expected things to get better and it just never happened.
My final complaint is also one that I’m sure is common. The character’s names are ridiculous. Dank? I’m hoping that there’s a symbolic meaning to his name, because I can’t handle it if there isn’t. There’s a slight chance that the author was trying to portray death or the absence of life as being cold, which makes sense, though there are certainly better synonyms, but this interpretation makes no sense because Dank certainly wasn’t a cold character. He was incredibly passionate. Here’s to hoping that an explanation will be provided in the next book.
Final Word: Overall, I was definitely not in love with the first installment in this trilogy. Will I read the sequels? Probably. From what I’ve heard, the second book is much better than the first, but I definitely won’t go into it with the expectations that I originally had of this series.

3 comments:

  1. New follower!Found you via goodreads.Would love a follow back! :)

    Nobonita@Daydreaming Bookworm
    http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydreamer3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the follow, Nobonita! I've followed you, as well via Goodreads. I see that we share a mutual love for Tahereh Mafi's delicious villain, Warner. In an upcoming segment that will go live this weekend, I'll be sharing my own vision of Warner. Looking forward to your feedback!

      Delete
  2. I'm following you as well :)

    ReplyDelete